I got this recipe from my mom, who got it from some random book of hers, now unknown. I like it for it’s density, kind of like a pound cake, and the addition of herbs that I have in the garden is a nice touch; the herbs add a bit of savory to the sweet lemon icing.
Ingredients for 2 loaves:
- 1.5 cups milk
- 2 T finely chopped lemon balm
- 2 T finely chopped lemon thyme
- 1 lb 4 oz = 4 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 T butter = 1.5 sticks?
- 14 oz = 2 Cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 T finely grated lemon zest
- Mix 2 T lemon juice + 1 cup powdered sugar
- Butter a 9×5 pan, preheat oven to 325 F
- Heat the milk with the chopped herbs to let steep while doing the rest
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl
- Cream butter and sugar in separate bowl until light and fluffy
- Beat in eggs one at a time, then add lemon zest
- Add dry ingredients with the milk and butter/sugar until just blended
- Pour batter into pans. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Cool and spread lemon glaze on top.
08/2011: Be sure not to mix the batter too much or it will get tough.
01/2011: Added blueberries. Smaller ones would be better, but I think I like the lemon flavor without the blueberries better.