Make the night before:
Then, the next day:
- 1000g flour
- 200g sugar
- 25g salt
- 10g instant yeast
- 4 cups of raisins (half golden, half regular)
Mix together and set aside
- 6 eggs
- 400g warm milk (= 400ml ?) Add separately in mixing bowl so we don’t cook the eggs.
- zest from 2 lemons
Add poolish and levan to dry ingredients in the mixer with dough hook. Mix well and add wet ingredients. Then, add:
- 6 sticks of softened butter, cut into 1/2″ slices, thrown into mixer at medium speed one at a time.
Once the butter is all incorporated and smooth, let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
Bulk rise for 2 hours, turning twice the first hour and only once the second hour.
Shape and pan.
Bake at 350 for about an hour, depending on pans. Tartine recipe says 425, but that’s too high and the dough browns too fast.
Original recipe for ONE Babka, for reference (1/2 the butter of above recipe)
- 4 packets of instant yeast
- 2 tps sugar
- 1 cup of water, about 110 degrees
Proof for 10 minutes
- 1.5 sticks of butter, softened in microwave
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tbs of grated lemon peel from 2 lemons
- 2 cups of raisins
- 4.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tps salt
- 1 cup scalded milk
Cream butter and sugar, add in eggs and beat until fluffy. Stir in yeast mixture and gradually beat in flour sifted with salt, then milk and lemon peel. Add raisins and mix, then knead until smooth and elastic.
Place in greased bowl and cover with a cloth. Let rise in 80 degree oven for 1.5 – 2 hours until doubled. Then add any fillings, and shape and pan. Let rise again for 1 hour and then bake at 350 for about an hour.