Adventures in making Sauerkraut from Sandor Katz’s book and Michael Pollan’s recipe based on it
- 2.8 lbs red cabbage
- 3.0 lbs of green cabbage
- Added 1.5 tsp salt per pound of cabbage = 9 tsp of salt
- Add 1/2 tsp of caraway per lb of cabbage = 3tsp
- 1 tsp of ground coriander
- Mixed and pounded everything together.
- Made 3.5 quarts. Used weights and fermentation lids.
- 1 head of red cabbage
- 1 head of green cabbage
- 4.4 lbs total
- Grated on Babcii’s cabbage slicer!
- Added 4.4 * 1.5 tsp salt = 6.6 tsp + a little extra = 8 tsp salt
- Added caraway seeds measured by Max at 3 years old, so about 1 Tblspoon +/- 1 tsp.
- Pounded and stuffed into jars, and added a grape leaf to cover and press down the kraut.
- 1 tsp caraway seeds per head (good)
- 1/2 tsp mustard per head (makes it taste like mustard, though, so not great)